How do I add a new MSSQL database?
Most programs which allow you to easily design a website, will need a way to all kinds of different data (e.g. which theme you are using, or the contents of the latest comment). In general, only media such as images or the code running the site, is saved as files on your webhotel.
Such a data storage system is called a database, two of the main types of which are called MySQL and MSSQL. If you have an ASP/.NET webhotel with Surftown, you have access to both types. You are allowed to create as many databases as you need.
If you need to create an MSSQL database, you are in the right place. Just follow the steps below and you will have your database ready to use in a few minutes
1. Begin by logging in Here
2. If you have multiple webservices, you must choose the webservice containing the domain you want to use the database with. If you have many and are in doubt which webservice you need, you can click here.
3. When you have expanded the webservice, click on Databases in the Hosting section.
4. You will see a page, containing any databases you have already created. Please note that there are two tabs on the page. Make sure MSSQL is selected.
Before you can create an MSSQL database, you must have a database user. If you don’t have one already, go to step 4a. If/when you have your database user ready, click on the Add button next to Databases and go to step 5.
4a. Add a new user: Press the Add button to the right of where it says Users to open a pop up window. You must now choose a user name and a password. You can use the Generate strong password link to have us choose a strong password at random. Click on Show password to see the generated password, so you can save it for later use. Once you are satisfied with your entries, press Save to create the user.
5. A pop up window will open, where you can write a name for the database, choose which user will be able to access the database(1), as well as choose your transfer log quota. This sets how much space is allocated to the database transfer log. If you have a database with only a little data, which is accessed frequently, you will want to set this to a high percentage. If you have a lot of data and a more normal usage pattern, you will probably want to set the percentage lower.
Once you are happy with your setup, you can press Add new database(3) to create the database. This usually takes a few seconds before the window is closed again.
6. You will now be back at the overview of your databases, and will be able to see your new database and any new users you may have created.