How do I configure FileZilla to connect to my website?
You will often need access to your website here at Surftown. This is done by connecting via FTP (File Transfer Protocol) - a protocol which allows you to transfer files between your computer and our servers.
The FTP client is the program used to connect to your website and we recommend one called FileZilla. But how do I use that program and what does all these settings mean?
Don't worry, this guide will walk you through it all!
1. Download and install FileZilla.
2. Next you need to log in here.
3. If you have multiple webservices, find the one which has the domain you want to access. If you have many and are in doubt which webservice you need, you can click here.
4. When you have expanded the webservice, click on FTP settings in the Hosting category.
5a. If you want to connect using your main FTP account, click on the FileZilla Configuration button in the Configuration category, to download and save a file containing the necessary settings for connecting FileZilla to your webhotel.
5b. If you want to connect using an FTP sub-account, click on the FileZilla Configuration button in the Actions column, next to the name of the sub-account, to download and save a file containing the necessary settings for connecting FileZilla to your webhotel.
6. If you know your current FTP password, go to the next step, otherwise you can read the following guide on how to reset your FTP password.
Now you are ready to begin setting up FileZilla.
7. Open FileZilla and click on File -> Import…
8. Navigate to the configuration file you saved in step 5 and click Open.
9. Click OK to the confirmation prompt.
10. Click on File -> Site Manager…
Select your account on the list on the left (1). Then type your password in the Password box on the right (2). Then click OK to save your settings.
11. You can now use the Site Manager list to quickly connect to your account.
The first time you connect, you may be warned that the server’s certificate is unknown. This is normal. Verify that the certificate is issued to *.surftown.com for Surftown A/S, and check the box “Always trust certificate in future sessions”. Then press OK.
You are now connected.
FileZilla's interface is split into two halves. The left half shows files and folders on your local machine, while the right half shows the files and folders on your webhotel.
You can drag files and folders from one half to the other to upload or download files from your account.